Saturday, October 8, 2011

Dear Friends and Family,

This is the end to my second week at YWAM! On one hand it’s crazy to think I have been here so long, and on the other, I can’t believe that it has only been two weeks. I am truly enjoying my time here.

The speaker this week was Jeff Herringshaw. His topic was ‘Pursuing Right Relationships’. And while this included romantic relationships, it also covered your basic friend relationship. His definition of love really stood out to me. It was: Love is choosing to give the highest good to God, to others, and to myself. In today’s culture love equals feelings. What you do is based on what you feel. But what you feel can change rather quickly. Jeremiah 17:9 says “The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure.” So you can’t even really trust your heart. He drew us this picture of a big semi-truck. At the engine he has the word ‘will’ and in the trailer the word ‘emotions’. Our life is supposed to be driven along by our will with our emotions trailing behind. A lot of people drive their truck backwards at full speed, something that is really dangerous, as well as scary. And in realty that kind of love is not truly love, it is a selfish love. And selfish love does not give the highest good to God, others, and myself.

Last night we had a banquet that raised money for our staff. None of the staff get paid to be here, they all pay money. This banquet helps them to have lower fees. It was a formal occasion, so we all dressed up. It was a lot of fun. This is all us students. Aren't we a lovely bunch?

On Monday we all had to make a decision on where we would go on outreach. The choices were to Peru in the Amazon or to South Africa. We were presented the options, than we went to God about them. I wrestled with God on this, but in the end I followed what he was telling me. I am going to South Africa! :) It was a hard decision to make but once I made it, I became super excited to go to South Africa! 8 people are going to the Amazon and 15 are going to South Africa. The family is going to South Africa so we get 3 little kids with us!

I have a local outreach that I help out with. I am helping out with homework at a local trailer park. I do this every Tuesday. Last week we just went and spread the news. This coming Tuesday we will start. :)

Prayer requests: for health (I am getting a cold and I am worried about losing my voice), that everyone will have money for outreach, and that everyone will grow in the Lord.

Sending my love,
Haleigh

No comments:

Post a Comment